Fall Detox to Prepare You For a Winter of Wellness

(Winter of Wellness idea adapted from Yoga Journal; detox adapted from own experience with safe cleansing.)

I wanted to touch on the subject of detoxing for the coming winter months after Kajira over at HEARTing Handmade asked me:

Do you have any good tips for detoxing?

First, eliminate dairy, wheat, eggs, sugar, corn, and caffeine from your diet (for just 1 week!) as these tend to aid in mucus forming in the body, which can cause toxic buildup. Toxic buildup can cause allergies, headaches, low energy, and mood swings, as well as eventually lead to other more serious conditions.

Next, add in yummy fruits, a ton of veggies (veggies are fibrous and can bind to toxins to quickly release them from the body), organic meats, whole grains, and nuts & seeds (sparingly).

I would also have 1 liquid meal per day (I like to have it for breakfast) and I would keep dinner light, i.e. a piece of broiled meat with loads of yummy veggies and a side salad. It's best to make all of your own meals to make sure you know exactly what is in your food.

Throughout the week, maintain a consistent workout regimen and include a daily yoga practice. All of the sweating will help in the detoxifying process. Also, try a hand at meditation, which can help cleanse the body, spirit and mind. 

Also, clear your life of clutter; find time for yourself and for the things you love most-crocheting, crafts, singing, playing an instrument, reading a good book, cooking a new recipe, working in the garden, or writing. These things might also be great ways to unwind from a long day's work.

If you can afford it, a massage, chiropractic care, or acupuncture is great to do, too. These treatments are very helpful in releasing the built up toxins in the body.

Take a multi-vitamin!
Drink plenty of water!  
Go for relaxing walks in nature!

For now, I think this will do. It’s not an elaborate detox; it’s a not a quick fix, but it’s a natural approach to getting your body and mind to a place of balance and clarity.

Happy, safe detoxing! And let me know how it goes!

Comments

  1. I am glad I stumbled upon your blog! I have been sitting at home for a month now with nothing to do and since I don't own a car it's hard to get to places. And my body has been telling me that it's about time to get back on track workout-wise. And I think i will start the workouts on the Bodyrock website that you suggested. As for the detox, I might try it, but last time I tried I gave up :( Thanks anyway for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you sooo much for answering this, you helped me a lot! I will try it and let you know how it goes. :) have a wonderful week!

    btw, i've noticed that when i get an email if someone comments on my blog, i can send them a direct email if they state their address in the profile. you don't have it in your profile so I can't do it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts